At the end of 2017 Training Camp, the 49ers broke out the Spikeball sets to blow off some steam.
Pro Athletes cross train with Spikeball
USA Wrestling - Active Recovery + Sport Specific Benefits
“Spikeball is analogous to what we do. It’s more lateral movement and cutting and back & forth, which is similar to the skills we need. And more than that, it’s really fun.”
-USA Men’s Wrestling coach Bill Zadick
Part of the Crossfit WOD
Most Crossfitters break Spikeball out on rest day but some are incorporating it into the WOD. Here’s our favorite:
- Two teams of 2 play a point of Spikeball
- The losing team does 5 burpees
- The winning team does double unders until their opponent finishes the burpees. Keep track.
- The teams play another point....
- The cycle continues until one team has completed 300 double unders total
The unofficial warm-up of the NHL
"You’re just moving around, get your hand-eye going, competitive juices flowing too. It’s a lot of fun.”
-Connor McDavid two time reigning scoring leader.